In PE we use the programmes of study for key stages 1 and 2 for the National Curriculum in England. For a complete overview please click HERE to open a new window with the whole document from the Department for Education.
We ensure all our pupils have at least two PE sessions per week and participate in a wide range of local competitive sporting events including football, gymnastics, cricket, tennis and athletics. We arrange for our KS2 children to learn to swim at an excellent local pool and continue to take them throughout KS2 if they do not manage to swim at least 25 metres. Please see below for more information and a summary of how we are using the sport premium funding.
Children will be given the opportunity to develop to the full, their abilities in:
- mastering basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participating in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- performing dances using simple movement patterns
- using running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- playing competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- developing flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics
- performing dances using a range of movement patterns
- taking part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- comparing their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
We have an excellent fully equipped sports hall complete with changing facilities for our older pupils and a superb field which can accommodate up to 4 7-a-side football pitches and even has an all weather cricket wicket! We have different sports marked out on our field throughout the year including a running track in the summer for our annual sports day. We are also an active member of the Forest Heath Schools Sports Partnership and allow our facilities to be used for hosting many cluster events.
The lead staff member for PE is Mr Hicks who is supported by Mrs Broad.