We use the DFE languages programmes of study which can be found HERE. We have a software programme called Rigolo which staff use to support their teaching.
Over the course of Key Stage 1 children will be given the opportunity to develop their confidence in French through an introduction with various Story Sacks.
Over the course of Key Stage 2 the children will aim to reach their full potential through:-
- listening attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- exploring the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engaging in conversations; asking and answering questions; expressing opinions and responding to those of others; seeking clarification and help
- speaking in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- developing accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- presenting ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- reading carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciating stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broadening their vocabulary and developing their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- writing phrases from memory, and adapting these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describing people, places, things and actions orally and in writing.
Great Heath Academy is proud to have already gained the Bronze Linguamarque for French and is currently working towards the Silver. All staff have been working extremely hard to achieve this with our students.
The lead staff member for languages is Mrs June Carton.