We use the DFE languages programmes of study which can be found HERE. We have a software programme called Rigolo which staff use to support their teaching.
Over the course of key stage 2 children will be given the opportunity to develop to the full, their abilities in:
- listening attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- exploring the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engaging in conversations; asking and answering questions; expressing opinions and responding to those of others; seeking clarification and help
- speaking in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- developing accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- presenting ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- reading carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciating stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broadening their vocabulary and developing their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- writing phrases from memory, and adapting these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describing people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
The lead staff member for languages is Mrs June Carton.